installing ubuntu on an USB external hard drive

Bob A boba45678 at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 25 14:45:12 UTC 2005

Hi,

I have installed ubuntu base system on an external USB hard drive.
However, during installation of GRUB boot loader I was unable to specify my external drive, instead I installed it on a floppy drive. When Im trying to boot from the floppy, it is reporting an error saying /dev/sda1 could not be found and displaying a shell prompt.
I would like to know:
1) How to specify external drive for installation of GRUB loader.
2) How to prepare a new boot floppy which can load from the external drive in this situation.
Please help me in setting up the boot loader appropriately.

Thanks
Bob