Java problems

Phillip Sc. Boegh psb at ipl.dtu.dk
Tue Oct 25 11:30:12 UTC 2005

>> > java version "1.4.2"
>> > gij (GNU libgcj) version 4.0.2 20050808 (prerelease) (Ubuntu
>> > 4.0.1-4ubuntu9)
>> You are really outdated! sorry to say - you know with Linux you avoid
>> antivirus programs and the slow down of that reason. But in expence the
>> security rely un that the users update there Linux frequently.
>
> He is not outdated! Do you know that every single Breezy users out
> there will have this java installed (via the package " gij-4.0") on
> their system?  gij is the free (free as in freedom) version of java;
And that is fine - but is it true that java version "1.4.2" is outdated
Yes or No.
Yes: version 1.5.01, 1.5.02, 1.5.03, 1.5.04 and 1.5.05 is already
distributed.
I aggree that gij-4.0 is preferable, but really not enough for many people
looking at web-adresses, netbanking etc.

> It is installed by default on Breezy to get things like the OpenOffice
> to work properly.  If you try to remove it, you will have to remove
> OOo2 and ubuntu-desktop packages among other things.
I have removed part of it and have the version 1.5.05 running in perfect
co-existence. But still I prefer the free ones when they do function: nv
compared to nvidas drivers, java gij-4.0 compared to 1.5.05 etc. but what
to do when it is not enough?

Best regards

Phillip