installation blues...

Stephen R Laniel steve at laniels.org
Mon Oct 24 14:59:45 UTC 2005

On Mon, Oct 24, 2005 at 10:52:35AM -0400, neowhere at optonline.net wrote:
> I am new to ubuntu and I can't seem to find any installation intructions on the site.  It says to download the image file and burn it to a cd and I did that, and then when I go to the D drive and double click on the file, I get my "sonic RecordNow!" application opening up asking me if I want to burn it to a CD.  But I'm like, "Dude,  its already on a CD".

Looks like you've made a common mistake: you're burning the
ISO image to a CD as a file, rather than burning a
bit-by-bit copy onto the disk. That is, you've created a
filesystem on the CD, then added the ISO file as a file in
that filesystem. If that makes sense. You need to specify,
in your burning software, that you want to burn an image to
disk.

Try burning as an image, then see if the installation is
straightforward after that. It oughta be, or we need to do
some work.

--
Stephen R. Laniel
steve at laniels.org