Flash Drive

Zach uid000 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 23 22:08:55 UTC 2005

you'll need to specify the partition, too.  So if it's sda, then,
assuming there's only one partition (usually the case with usb
thumb-drives), you'd mount /dev/sda1.  If there was more than one
partition, and you wanted to mount the second partition, you'd mount
/dev/sda2.

On my laptop thumbdrives always show up as /dev/sdb because I have
memorystick slot which is sda.

You can open terminal and type (as unpriviledged user)
$tail -f /var/log/messages.
tail shows you the last several lines of what ever you want to read
the -f says "follow", so it keeps showing new lines as they're appended.
(see man tail for more info)
/var/log/messages is a file that lots of system messages are aggrated to.

Then plug in the usb drive and watch the output scroll by.  There will
be lots of stuff, but in there somewhere you'll see a line like:
Oct 23 18:00:10 localhost kernel: [4312533.253000] SCSI device sdb:
250879 512-byte hdwr sectors (128 MB)
which in this case indicates /dev/sdb is the right answer.

More importantly, though there might be some information in there that
explains why your device isn't being mounted automatically.  If there
isn't anything in there that is meaningful to you, then paste the
lines that appear after you plug in your device in an email to the
list, and maybe somebody will be able to take a look and help.