Java problems

Eric Feliksik milouny at gmx.net
Sun Oct 23 14:22:30 UTC 2005

Jack Jackson wrote:
> What oh what is the flippin name of the Java to install please?
>
> user at br33z:~$ sudo apt-cache search sun-j2
> sun-j2re1.4 - Java(TM) 2 RE, Standard Edition, Sun Microsystems(TM)
> sun-j2re1.5 - Java(TM) 2 RE, Standard Edition, Sun Microsystems(TM)
> user at br33z:~$ sudo apt-cache show sun-j2rel.5
> W: Unable to locate package sun-j2rel.5
> E: No packages found
>
> Why ? What am I doing wrong?

The non-free sun implementation of java (the official one) is not
packaged, because sun does not permit that. The packages you see are
help-packages to help you install the official version, which apparently
doesn't work. You can download it manually from java.sun.com and install
it in /opt if you can't figure out how to do it in another way.

> Also how can I uninstall the
>
> java version "1.4.2"
> gij (GNU libgcj) version 4.0.2 20050808 (prerelease) (Ubuntu
> 4.0.1-4ubuntu9)
>
> that I put on there? Since I can't find a package name to remove I
> cannot remove it

If you don't know what package a file belongs to, do `dpkg -S
/your/file`. Then you know what to remove. If you didn't install it with
  a package manager, you can just remove it.