Splash Screen question

Scott angrykeyboarder at gmail.com
Sun Oct 23 12:57:00 UTC 2005

On 10/21/2005 08:25 PM, 'Forum Post wrote:

>I get the same thing when I boot up my laptop on a different network
>than it's configured for (for example first time in the morning at the
>office after having used it online at home), and the network connection
>times out.
>

>I think going back to text mode is simply a time-out thing - the boot
>process stalls while it's searching for the network, eventually
>continuing with the process after that times out. But if the elapsed
>time is too long I guess the splash screen times out as well and sends
>me back to the default text mode.
>

>I'm not sure if this is a bug or actually a feature - ubuntu thinks
>something is going wrong so it sends you to where you can get the most
>information.

I get it now, it's a timeout!  I don't blame it.  I get tired of waiting
for the "OK" following ".....Enterprise Volume Management System..."
(whatever that is) myself. ;-)

Sometimes I could go do laundry or watch some TV and come back just as
the "OK" appears after "......Enterprise Volume...."

BTW, I've Googled that term and came up empty.  It also was a problem in
Hoary.