sudo not working at all

Robbo ml at the-view.eclipse.co.uk
Sun Oct 23 09:09:31 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-10-23 at 01:41 -0700, Jack Bowling wrote:
> I've spent this evening reading all the man pages and searching through
> google hits and mailing-list archives but still have not found a
> solution to the following problem:
>
> I have done 2 Breezy installs on 2 separate boxes the past couple of
> nights. One works beautifully; the other has a broken sudo. The broken
> box spits out the time-honoured "Sorry, sudo must be setuid root" every
> time I try to use sudo. Permissions and file sizes for sudo as well as
> mount options for the /usr partition are identical for both machines.
> The working box gives me a root prompt in response to "sudo -i" as it
> should.
>
> The only difference between the two systems is the bad one was an old
> Fedora box but I wiped all the system partitions as well as the home
> partition during the install so there shouldn't be any crud left around.

Are you sure the permissions and owner is set as the below?

-rwsr-xr-x  1 root root 93076 2005-09-30 09:11 /usr/bin/sudo

if you don't get the permissions -rwsr-xr-x, (the s bit is important
part as well as the owner), then thats what could be wrong.  You'll need
to login as root to change (as sudo doesn't work) so you'll need to boot
into recovery mode from the Grub menu if you haven't set a root
password.

Use the command "chmod 4755 /usr/bin/sudo" to correct the permissions.

If this isn't it then it could be your drive is mounted with the nosuid
option set.  Run "mount" to list your mounted drives, if / (or if you
did a seperate partition /usr) nosuid as an option you'll need to remove
it by editing /etc/fstab (you'll need to do this as root as well).

Also check if your running the correct sudo by running "which sudo" and
not another on some path, etc. (should point to /usr/bin/sudo).