USB management

Christoph Bier christoph.bier at web.de
Fri Oct 21 17:37:11 UTC 2005

Derek Broughton schrieb am 21.10.2005 17:25:

> Christoph Bier wrote:
>
>>I just want to know with which flags flash drives get mounted. The
>>man page to pmount says:
>>
>>       The device will be mounted with the following flags:
>>       async,atime,nodev,noexec,noauto,nosuid,user,rw
>>
>>But `atime' shouldn't be set for flash drives. As `async' `noatime'
>>should be set.
>
> That's a matter of preference.

Flash drives have a limited write lifetime. The amount differs from
10 000 to 100 000. Every time you write access time to a sector it
shortens the lifetime of this sector and thus of the flash drive.
With an mp3 player for more than 200 Euro and a 1GB xd card for my
digicam my preference focuses on lifetime :-).

Do you really need access times on a flash drive especially under
those circumstances?

>>I expected something like this that's why I
>>investigated to file a bug report if necessary. But still I'm not
>>sure whether there's a file I didn't find where further options for
>>pmount may be set (pmount knows option -A for noatime).
>
> hal uses .fdi files for specific overriding options - but I _don't_ know how
> to configure them.

Thanks! I found the corresponding .fdi file and hope to find time in
the next days to understand configuration.

Regards,
    Christoph
--
+++ Typografie-Regeln: http://www.zvisionwelt.de/typokurz.pdf (1.4)