Suspend/Hibernate question

Darryl Clarke smartssa at gmail.com
Fri Oct 21 13:23:17 UTC 2005

On 10/21/05, Russell Cook <bike_oz at yahoo.com.au> wrote:
>            Hi all,
>  I get the following in my logs on resume:
>      localhost kernel [15809.677510] resume= option should be used to set suspend deviceswsusp: Need to copy 25259 pages
>
>  Should I add a resume=/dev/hd3 (my swap partition) to the etc/default/acpi-support or some such?

resume= is a kernel parameter.  You set it in /boot/grub/menu.lst

It's around line 18 or 19 under:
## ## Start Default Options ##
## default kernel options

As it states, do not uncomment the lines just append 'resume=/dev/hd3'
in your case to the 'kopt' line.

this is my line:
# kopt=root=/dev/hda1 ro resume=/dev/hda5

after adding resume= option you need to run 'sudo update-grub' to make
grub automagically generate your kernel list with this option.

the options found in /etc/default/acpi-support  only enable or disable
this, they don't have an effect on how the kernel handles it.

Also, as note, your swap space _must_ be larger than your physical
memory for hibernate to work properly.

~ Darryl  ~ smartssa at gmail.com
http://smartssa.com / http://darrylclarke.com