Brand New Hard drive Breezy install....

Scott angrykeyboarder at gmail.com
Fri Oct 21 10:10:32 UTC 2005

On 10/20/2005 11:41 AM, Charles Malespin wrote:

> Hi all,  So I wrote a few weeks ago about a hosed HD problem I was
> having with a dual boot XP and Hoary.  Well I got a new hard drive
> from Dell today, and I have a few questions.  SO this is what I would
> like to do....
>  I have to return the broken drive to Dell, but before I do that I
> would like to install the new one, and possible take some of the
> data(not all of it is lost) from the original dual boot drive and
> transfer it to my new one.  Here are my questions:
> - First, after physically installing the new drive, what do I need to
> do to format the drive for Breezy to install?  I have the CD burnt and
> ready to go, do I just turn on the computer with the new drive and
> boot from the CD and let breezy do its thing?(I am going to just go
> ahead and get rid of windows all together on this new drive).
> - Once I get to the partition table, how would I go about making home
> a separate partition from root and swap?  (Please make dirs easy if
> possible) so that if I have another crash I can still have home on
> another partition(250Gb hard drive).
> - Supposing that I get breezy running on my new drive, how would I get
> data off the old drive?  (I Cant, repeat Cant, make a backup to
> transfer... its a long long story) Is there a way to mount it and then
> transfer files(mainly music etc.) from my old drive with Windows and
> Hoary to my new Breezy install?
> -Is there something else that I need to know upon installing breezy on
> a brand new out of the box hard drive?  I dont need any CDs from Dell
> and such do I?
>    Thanks for listening to all my questions, this list has always been
> very helpful.
> Charles

The only CDs Dell would have sent would have pertained to Windows or
Windows drivers (assuming you have a typical Home/Home Office PC from
them).  So you don't need a thing from them with it comes to Linux. Once
you've got the hard drive installed and working, just pop the Ubuntu CD
in and reboot (assuming you've got your BIOS configured to boot your
computer first from the CD/DVD drive).

The install program will walk you through the process of hard drive
formatting and partitioning.  Heck it will even format partitions in
Windows or BSD formats if you so desire..