Co-existence of Ubuntu-desktop, Kubuntu-desktop and Edubuntu-desktop in one install

Colin Murphy lists at spudulike.me.uk
Thu Oct 20 21:00:18 UTC 2005

Yet another message from me, sorry for the bulk posting, but I wonder if this
may have anything to do with the problems mentioned previously with DVDs, USB
Pendrives and Skype.

At heart I am a KDE user and, until about 5 weeks ago a Suse user.  I have
been trying to get a Ubuntu system working nicely on my machine during that
time, starting with 5.04 and pre-releases of 5.10.

Various things didn't work nicely for me, I couldn't get my internet
connection to work 'smoothly', I couldn't configure a printer or I couldn't
get Skype to work. These problems were spread over various installs I had
done during my learning curve with Ubuntu.  Go on, you can give me top marks
for perseverance!

Being a KDE user I was immediately drawn to, and installed, Kubuntu 5.04.  My
first efforts were fraught with DNS problems but I think this was more to do
with the way in which Suse, which I was use to, and (K)Ubuntu do things, and
I was eventually able to figure out how to install with a working internet
connection. Once done I was able to get apt running and install a working
Skype through it.  I never managed to get the printer working - the problem
here was much of the documentation was for a Gnome based system.

I then tried a pre-release of 5.10 as a dual boot of Ubuntu and found the
administrative tasks more intuitive. Some bits were wrong, I couldn't get
Skype to work for one, but the printer was working, at least, so I had made
some progress.

Then Breezy was released so I went ahead with a Ubuntu install onto which I
also installed kubuntu-desktop form me and, probably foolishly,
Edubuntu-desktop for the children.

So, should all of these 'desktops' work nicely together or have I tried to
push too much into the installation?

--
Colin at Spudulike.me.uk

A:Because it's wrong!