using the terminal effectively

Sean Miller sean at seanmiller.net
Thu Oct 20 08:02:51 UTC 2005

Eamonn Sullivan wrote:

>On 20/10/05, christopher <christotalk at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>hi friends,
>>
>> i work on linux in our college.
>> i have been using linux only after joining the college.
>> and hence my knowledge of using it efficiently is limited.
>> i would like to know how to use terminal effectively.
>> does anyone know any site wherin i will get info on how to use it.
>> i would like to know the commands.i tried help on the terminal but the help
>>was inconlusive.
>> please do not give the name of any reference book if possible.

Oh well, I am going to give the name of a reference book regardless
because I think it's well worth mentioning, if only for others who read
the post...

It's "Linux in a Nutshell" by O'Reilly. When I started in Unix about 12
years back I got the "Unix in a Nutshell" book and it served me well. It
doesn't get all bogged down in narrative, it is simply a reference book.
It tells you the commands, what they do, pattern matching etc. etc.

Worth a look !

Sean