FreeDOS/Ubuntu on HP laptops?

'Forum Post ulist at gs1.ubuntuforums.org
Thu Oct 20 04:42:17 UTC 2005

Hi,

Here is my 2 cents.

I bought HP/CPMPAQ Presario 2500 series laptop last year which was
suppossed to have pre-installed Mandrake Linux 9.1. When I went to take
the delivery the dealer said thet it was not "pre-installed" but coming
with 3 CDs and he had no person who knows how to install. I should buy
only if I could install it at my risk. I accepted the risk. The
installation was smooth. The hardware detection was perfect with
correct driver installation. The 2 Mandrake Linux 9.1 CDs had HP logo
(perhaps they were tailor made). The third CD had Modem driver (free
version of Linuxant) which restricted the speed to 14.2 Kbps. I had to
pay for the license to Linuxant to get a speed of 56 Kbps.

When I downloaded Mandrakelinux 10 from free servers I could not
install it without issues. I had to issue the command:> linux noauto nofirewireto install it. Mandrake Linux 10 could not load the correct drivers but
when I went for "upgrade" instead of "install" it was OK.

In June 2005 I decided to install Ubuntu 5.04 in dual boot with
Mandriva (Mandrake renamed) and the installation was smooth.

kagashe

--
kagashe