Is there an real need to upgrade?

Max Andersen max at militant.dk
Wed Oct 19 20:24:34 UTC 2005

Walter Vermeir wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I am now using Ubuntu 5.04.  In general; it works for what i need it
>for.  If I upgrade to 5.10 I am afraid I will need to try to fix a lot
>of things that now works. Browsers-plugins, audio, video-codecs,
>sound-conflicts, or worse, a install disaster and the need for a new
>installation.
>
>If I stay with 5.04; what, from the end users/ desktop home user point
>of view will I miss? Basicly is the risk worth the resold?

I upgraded from due to curiosity and the fear of being left behind :)

I shouldn't have. Key elements in my work have been crippled a bit, and
I had some good and bad experiences.

good :
My box runs 3D graphics in xorg instead of xfree86, due to newer
versions of both xorg and ati-driver (firegl2).
The look&feel and small speedincrease in X

bad:
windows network browsing is annoying but do work.
citrix support is crap. I can use wfica but not wfcmgr. some lib is no
longer supported.

and my old vpnclient from cisco, and X did need gcc 3.4, so all those
small things that makes me wonder why I don't write things down, so I'm
not quite so surprised every time I upgrade.

and yes, my video support which was super in hoary isn't worth talkng
about now. I could play anything in hoary, but I might have forgotten to
download some codecs from mplayer.hu. gotta check that out. not ubuntu's
fault, because of patenting, etc.

btw, I had to reinstall due to my xfree86 installation, which got a beating.

Still the best distribution, imho. (except for maybe gentoo, if I had
the time and energy....)

Sincerely
Max