ALT-F2 accessing SMB://server/share - Weird quirk.

Steve Kratz stevek at cipafilter.com
Wed Oct 19 18:16:13 UTC 2005

Ok, I have a home machine that's WinXP - not joined to a domain.

I have several shares with read/write permission for:
user: blah
password: pass
workgroup: everyone
IP: 192.168.0.150

On my Ubuntu workstation (IP addr 192.168.0.155), I hit alt-f2, enter
SMB://192.168.0.150, and it prompts me for a username/password/domain. I
enter my credentials, then it brings up ANOTHER log in box, this time,
it says "log in to 192.168.0.155" - which is my Ubuntu box! If I hit
escape here, I see my windows share. Everything's accessable fine. If I
try typing in either username for my windows box or my ubuntu box, it
just "loops" and takes me right back to logging into 192.168.0.155.

Anyone know what's up with this?  This has persisted through a couple
reinstalls of Breezy - began back in the betas.

Steve