System freezing on logout

Richard Querin rfquerin at gmail.com
Wed Oct 19 10:40:31 UTC 2005

Hi,

I'm a linux newbie running Breezy. Recently, I started enabling and running
xcompmgr to get some window shadowing. The shadowing works fine. However,
now when I try to log out (or reboot, or shutdown) the system just freezes.
The only way to get out is to do a Ctrl-Alt-Backspace. (I'm not even sure
what this does, although I remember reading it somewhere !!) This takes me
to the login screen from which I can choose 'Action->Shutdown, Reboot,
whatever.

So that is problem number 1. I can't shut down normally. Problem 2. is that
if I get to the login screen by doing the Ctrl-Alt-Backspace and then log in
again from there, the desktop comes up but the top panel comes up and then
immediately disappears, taking the menus, launchers, and clock in the panel
along with it. Leaving me without any option of using the menus for anything
(like shutting down, launching programs etc..).

Any ideas? Is this stuff related to using xcompmgr?

One other thing, when I was trying to get xcompmgr working I tried (as
instructed) setting it in my startup programs and setting priority of 1.
This caused the system to boot and then just lock up when trying to launch
the desktop. So I changed the priority to 50 and it now comes up fine. What
is the priority number and how should it be set?

RQ