Ubuntu Bug Day!

Daniel Holbach daniel.holbach at ubuntu.com
Tue Oct 18 18:56:01 UTC 2005

Hi everybody,

the Ubuntu world is about to have another bug day! Together, we'll get
cracking on Thursday (October, 20th).

 - Why should I care? -

If you ever planned to get involved anywhere in the Ubuntu world, bug
triage is definitely a good place to start. Now is the best time to get
into Ubuntu development as well. We just released Breezy and we're all
working on getting our desks clean and plan what to for Dapper.

Apart from all that, doing bug triage is a most valuable contribution to
Ubuntu, since this is direct contact with our users and it gives a
direction where our development process should point.

 - Who else will play with me? -

Everybody does bug triage these days, but the big teams (the Desktop
team, the Kubuntu team and the MOTUs) will be there and help you getting
into it. If you join #ubuntu-bugs you'll find the most active bug
squashers and Ubugtu (our bug bot) already there. In our teams you'll
find people that are happy to help you out and maybe you even consider
to join one of them.

 - Ok, sounds cool. So what do I do? -

This might serve as a simple list of things you can do:

     1. Most bugs need clarification of what the user actually did,
        which versions they use and to double-check that our packages
        are really broken.
     2. If we can reproduce the problem, we look for fixes. It's
        obvious: if somebody already did good work either in CVS, the
        Upstream bug tracker or in the Debian project, we're happy to
        consider the patch.
     3. In cases of obscure crashes, it might help to point to [1]
     4. If you're eager to try tackling the bug yourself, join one of
        the channels to get pointers to people who wrote the software.

[1] http://wiki.ubuntu.com/DebuggingProgramCrash

 - What difference does it make? -

It makes all the difference in the world. You help cleaning up Ubuntu,
you make it more stable, more obvious, you help to organise and maybe
you create new contacts to other people. Apart from that it's your first
step into the Ubuntu world. Get involved, get into a team and help
shaping Ubuntu up to your ideas.

- I need more information - what do I do? -

Go: http://wiki.ubuntu.com/HelpingWithBugs

Hope we'll see you around on Thursday.

Have a nice day,
 Daniel