identifying RAM

Vincent Trouilliez vincent.trouilliez at modulonet.fr
Tue Oct 18 14:44:36 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-10-18 at 16:26 +0200, ulrich steffens wrote:
> hi list,
> before i shut the whole system down, open the case, etc... is there a
> way to identify what kind of RAM is sitting on the mainboard?
> i mean not the size but if its 266 or 333 or...
>
> thanks in advance
>
> ulrich > too lazy today ;)

Hmmmm, if you do: "sudo dmidecode", the BIOS returns some info about the
H/W, which includes some details about the memory slots. I get a section
like this for every slot :

Handle 0x0006
        DMI type 6, 12 bytes.
        Memory Module Information
                Socket Designation: A0
                Bank Connections: 0 1
                Current Speed: 10 ns
                Type: Other
                Installed Size: 256 MB (Double-bank Connection)
                Enabled Size: 256 MB (Double-bank Connection)
                Error Status: OK

"Speed" is reported as 10ns. My RAM modules are PC2100, clocked at
266MHz (the rated speed I believe).

HTH,

--
Vince