Splash Screen question

Tim Littlemore tim at tjl2.com
Tue Oct 18 13:05:52 UTC 2005

Steve Zatz wrote:

> I understand that Breezy is supposed to have a splash screen for those
> who don't want to see the various  text messages during boot up.  I
> upgraded from Hoary to Breezy but do not see a splash screen or how to
> activate it.  This may be because I initially upgraded without the
> ubuntu-desktop package being installed and subsequently installed it
> and updated again.  Everything else seems to be working fine but am
> interested in setting up the splash.

You need to specify that you want to use the splash on your grub
'kernel' line, by adding 'splash' to that line in your
/boot/grub/menu.lst file. Here's mine, for example:

title           Ubuntu, kernel 2.6.12-9-386
root            (hd0,0)
kernel          /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.12-9-386 root=/dev/hda1 ro quiet splash
initrd          /boot/initrd.img-2.6.12-9-386
savedefault
boot

You'll probably find that you just don't have the splash keyword in your
grub config.

Tim