Just a humble introduction.

Vincent Trouilliez vincent.trouilliez at modulonet.fr
Sun Oct 16 17:23:53 UTC 2005

> Although there are many other questions that are more important, I'd
> like to install a Gnome theme: http://xrl.us/h2ne (Link to gnome-look.org)
> to get my feet wet.
>
> I've downloaded it and extracted the four variations to my desktop,
> but I can't seem to locate a 'themes' folder in which to place them.
> Or am I barking up the wrong tree ?

Yeah, this theme seems to have a problem, as the author made a single
tar file for all 4 theme variations, so as he noted on the site, you
can't just drag and drop the tar file into the window.

Do this:

Extract the tar file on your desktop. This gives you 4 folders, one for
each theme variation. Go to System->Preferences->Theme, click on "Theme
Details" button, then click on the second tab ("Windows Border"),
because that's what you are trying to install. Then click on the "Go to
Theme Folder". This will open a Nautilus window showing you the content
of the .themes folder in your user directory. This is where your themes
must go. Now just select the 4 folders you extracted, and drag and drop
them into the Nautilus window. The 4 themes should now appear in the
Themes preferences dialog, for you to select, done :o)

--
Vince