Location of Kernel Source, Tcl/Tk, and Others

Dave M G martin at autotelic.com
Sun Oct 16 14:38:11 UTC 2005

	1. Situation
	I'm trying to make my Wacom tablet be my primary pointing device.
	With some help from this list, I'm far enough along to encounter a few
problems in the configuration, but as they mostly involve required
applications, I'm hoping they can be resolved with just a few pointers.
	The Wacom driver I'm attempting to configure comes from here:
	http://linuxwacom.sourceforge.net

	2. Problems
	When running the ./configure command that came with the Wacom drivers I
downloaded from sourceforge, it could not find the kernel, tcl/tk, gcc,
ncurses, or an SDK for xorg.
	Gcc I was able to get with apt-get.
	In the case of the kernel, it actually reported that I had kernel
version 2.4. But I was certain that Ubuntu uses 2.6, so I took this to
mean that the kernel was not found, and it defaulted to 2.4. The
sourceforge documentation suggests that the kernel source needed should
be in /usr/src/linux. But I could not find anything at all in /usr/src.
	In the case of Tcl/Tk, I ran "wish" at the prompt to determine if Tcl
is installed, and I got a small window on my desktop which I take to
mean Tcl is installed. I'm assuming that if Tcl is installed, then so is
Tk. But I could not locate them by running a "which" command.
	I have no idea what ncurses is, but apparently in order to build the
driver I need ncurses-devel. I could not get this with apt-get.
	I was also unable to get xorg-x11-sdk, which I believe is the name of
the SDK that this Wacom driver is looking for.

	3. Questions
	What are the directory locations of:

	a. The kernel source
	b. Tcl
	c. Tk

	How do I get:
	a. ncurses-devel
	b. xorg-x11-sdk

	4. Reference
	I'm a Linux/Ubuntu newbie, so please keep advice simple. However, on
the up side, before I installed Ubuntu, I was running CentOS, and had
successfully installed my Wacom driver on that OS. Hopefully I can
succeed again with Ubuntu by figuring out where the differences lie.

Dave M G