boot time: break of 4 minutes

R Kimber rkimber at ntlworld.com
Sun Oct 16 12:27:10 UTC 2005

On Sat, 15 Oct 2005 21:56:57 +0200
"R.L.Reingard" <list.account at gmx.net> wrote:

> in fstab there is 'ext2', because the system got installed on a
> ext2-partition.
> why is there a scanning for a journaling filesystem if the the whole
> system is on a ext2-partition??

I experienced this too, though not with any significant delay.  It
seems that there is some assumption somewhere in the boot procedure that
the system should be ext3.  I got round it by converting the root
partition to ext3.

There's a whole lot of rather odd stuff going on at boot up that
doesn't seem necessary.  I've always assumed that it was the penalty
for not having a customised kernel, but I may be wrong.  One day, when
I've got the time, I'll roll my own and see if there's any difference.

- Richard.
--
Richard Kimber
http://www.psr.keele.ac.uk/