canoscan lide 50

August Karlstrom fusionfive at comhem.se
Sat Oct 15 23:48:26 UTC 2005

Tommy Trussell wrote:
> The reason is Canon does not release the hardware specifications to the
> public, so there are no proper opportunities for others to write
> supporting software. I gather the LiDE 20 and 30 are supported only
> because someone was able to infer the proper commands, and the other
> LiDE scanners use a different company's chip inside.
>
> I wrote a complaint to Canon but I don't have any hopes that their
> attitude will change anytime soon.

I can't see the reason for this kind of arrogance from the hardware
vendors. They have nothing to lose by supporting Linux. On the contrary
they will get bad reputation within the Linux community if they don't.
What are they afraid of? That consumers will make physical pirate copies
of their hardware? Come on!

August