No visible text in Firefox after upgrade from Hoary to Breezy

Steve Zatz slzatz at gmail.com
Sat Oct 15 18:27:54 UTC 2005

The upgrade of a standard Hoary install on a Dell Dimension desktop seemed
to go fine except when I launch Firefox there are no characters visible in
the Firefox menus or on the displayed Web Pages. I did see some repeated
warnings fly by during the upgrade that seemed to have something to do with
Perl and localization as I recall. (Does Apt/Synaptic maintain a log
somewhere?). In any event, it is amusing to see all Web pages stripped of
their text and to try to guess what the Firefox menu items are -- however,
if anyone has any suggestions to restore the ability to display menu and Web
page text it would be much appreciated.