Breezy upgrade question

R Kimber rkimber at ntlworld.com
Sat Oct 15 17:16:45 UTC 2005

I'm about to upgrade, but don't quite understand the significance of
ubuntu-base and ubuntu-desktop

I have read in the wiki BreezyUpgradeNotes that you need to have these
packages installed, as without them "it is much more likely that you
will encounter problems during the upgrade."

However, if I choose to install ubuntu-base synaptic says that Exim
will be removed (I'm using Exim not Postfix).  I don't want to remove
Exim and really don't see why I should be more liable to upgrade
problems just because I choose to run Exim.

If I choose to install ubuntu-desktop synaptic wants to install
OpenOffice which I don't want because that will entail the removal of
Abiword and I've never had any joy using OO (it won't print).

Ubuntu is for humans, and this one wants Exim and Abiword, but also
doesn't want to encounter problems during the upgrade.

Is there a way round this? Thanks.
- Richard
--
Richard Kimber