Two Apt (Package) Questions

Carthik Sharma carthik at gmail.com
Fri Oct 14 20:45:23 UTC 2005

On 10/14/05, Nuno Carvalho <rekconk at gmail.com> wrote:

> Carthik Sharma wrote:
> > > This will download the packages that need upgrades. I want to
> > download
> > > packages that are already installed, and up-to-date ? (for archival)
> > my mistake:
> >
> > $ dpkg --get-selections | cut -f 1 > packages.list
> > $ apt-get -d --reinstall --print-uris install `cat packages.list`
> >

> > Thanks!!! I am still having problem with the second step, where apt-get
> > complains that it cannot find some packages. I tried options -m, -f and
> > --ignore-missing, but it still complains and stops - any quick fixes??
> This happens because you have packages that aren't installed but not
> purged.
>
> try this:
> $ dpkg -l | grep ^ii | cut -f 3 -d " " > packages.list

This would have fit the bill, perfectly, but dpkg -l only lists the first 14
or so characters in the package name!! So I get stuff like "acroread-plugi"
and "enlightenment-" in the list, which are, of course not package names.

Thanks for your help Nuno, I really appreciate it -- would it be possible
for you think of a work around, around this new problem ??

Thanks again,
Carthik.

$ apt-get -d --reinstall --print-uris install `cat packages.list`

> some packages will complain that cannot be reinstalled, that you to care
> by hand
>
> Nuno
> >
> > Thanks a lot, again,
> >
> > Carthik.
> >

> --
>
> Today's fortune:
> If all the Chinese simultaneously jumped into the Pacific off a 10 foot
> platform erected 10 feet off their coast, it would cause a tidal wave
> that would destroy everything in this country west of Nebraska.

Ph.D. Candidate
University of Central Florida
Homepage: http://carthik.net