Swap Partition?

Steve bassix at gmail.com
Fri Oct 14 19:01:59 UTC 2005

On 10/14/05, Simon Taplin <simon.taplin at gmail.com> wrote:
> Is it better to have the swap partition at the beginning or end of a
> Hard Drive?
>
> Simon

I have mine at the end... so it's probably the wrong spot. :-)

I don't think it matters where it is... however I've heard some say
that you should have it a) on a different physical drive from your OS
and big applications/data files, or if not that, then b) close to
those files (in an adjacent partition to them).

For a) it is for faster access, theoretically able to access swap as
well as main OS/app/data files "simultaneously". For b) again is for
speed, so that the drive heads have a smaller distance to travel
between accessing those files and accessing the swap.

I think with the speed of drives nowadays, both arguments are pretty
much moot. YMMV! :-)

-Steve.
--
Ubuntu :: Linux for Human Beings :: ubuntulinux.org