Is Breezy ready and several other questions

Timothy A. Holmes tholmes at mcaschool.net
Fri Oct 14 17:08:43 UTC 2005

Hi Folks -- I was wondering the general consensus on a couple items
about Ubuntu in general and breezy in specific.

1).  Is breezy ready for use -- I see it labeled on the site as a
preview release, but I haven't found (haven't looked real hard) an
explanation of what a preview release is.  It will be a desktop /
internet station -- not doing much else

2).  Can someone recommend a good program for Hoary and Breezy for
watching mpeg / avi videos -- like ones you might download off the net
-- I do some video editing, and usually output as AVI, would be nice to
be able to watch them on my Ubuntu laptop

3). Similarly, I would like to find a rough equivalent to Picassa or the
windows XP slide viewer for Ubuntu -- I have a bunch of pics I want to
be able to look through / categorize etc.

4).  I also have a ton of files on a Windows 2000 pro box that I need to
move to Hoary,  CD burning is out as the 2000 box does not have a
burner, but I do have a good network,  I know that FTP is an option --
is that the best choice for Ubuntu, or is there an easier way -- id like
to avoid having to set up samba if I can -- (I do it all the time with
Active Directory auth etc at work, and would like to avoid headaches at
home if I can)

5). Are there any good P2P programs for UBUNTU (yes, I know the risks,
and yes, I know to avoid copyright problems) but I would like to try
them out on the linux side of the world

Thanks for your time and input

Timothy A. Holmes
IT Manager / Network Admin / Web Master / Computer Teacher

Medina Christian Academy
A Higher Standard...

Jeremiah 33:3
Jeremiah 29:11