ssh without password

Tim Littlemore tim at tjl2.com
Fri Oct 14 14:43:38 UTC 2005

David wrote:

>david at foo:~/.ssh $ scp id_dsa.pub david at testbar:/home/david/.ssh/authorized_keys
>Password:
>id_dsa.pub                                    100%  600     0.6KB/s   00:00
>david at foo:~/.ssh $ ssh david at fast
>Password:
>
>DARN! Why does it ask for a password!

It might be that you need to call that file authorized_keys2 on the
server. Or it might be that your permissions are set wrong on your local
.ssh/id_dsa file. You have to "chmod 600 ~/.ssh/id_dsa"

These are problems I've come across before.

Also, is 'testbar' an alias of 'fast'? I notice above that you have
copied your public key to the 'testbar' machine, and then you are trying
to ssh to 'fast'.

Some more ideas:
Have you run "ssh-add" and "ssh-agent" on your local machine?
If it's none of those problems, you may need to use "ssh -A david at fast"
to enable key forwarding.

Tim