Difference between KDE and GNOME

Lee Braiden lee_b at digitalunleashed.com
Thu Oct 13 17:17:09 UTC 2005

On Thursday 13 October 2005 10:32, Jayasimha Yerramilli wrote:
> What are the primary functional differences between GNome and KDE
>  In depth answer highlighting the functional differences would be help me
> understand the environment's better.

My personal opinion, but I stand by it:

KDE is more integrated.  For instance, the RSS news aggregator, Akregator,
works as a plugin for the Konqueror, the web browser, so that you can find
RSS feeds in your browser and easily add them to Akgregator.  Akregator,
besides running as a standalone app, can also run as a plugin for Kontact,
which is the KDE equivalent of Evolution or MS Outlook or other PIM tools.
Likewise, Kopete integrates into the KDE Address Book, so that your contacts
have IM details, photos, etc.

KDE is also more feature-complete.  It's really good at providing the features
you need, even if it's just something you randomly decide you want.  Like, I
was picking wallpaper for my desktop one day, and just decided to try adding
a folder instead of a file.  It worked, and gave me a randomly changing
desktop wallpaper, with no effort at all.  Next, I decided that I wanted to
be able to "fast forward" through those wallpapers, or to delete a currently
displayed wallpaper, and move onto a new one.  KDE didn't have those features
explicitly, but it was VERY easy to add both, with the dcop command line tool
and two small shell scripts.  You can control and script almost all of KDE
through DCOP, which really makes it fit the unix philosophy, I think.

GNOME... I really like GNOME.  It was the only desktop I used, back around
GNOME 1.4.  I wish I could say more good things about it.  Personally, I
think the drive to make it user-friendly has made it too simplistic.  I can
say two good things about GNOME though, and they're both very good.  The
first is that it's accessibility focus has been great.  That's really
important stuff, and it's good to see they took that seriously.  The second
is international language support.  GNOME seems to handle foreign languages
like arabic better, just because it's font engine is smarter.  Also, it has
better support for inputting strange languages that don't use a normal
keyboard mapping with one character per key.  That language support is also
really important.

KDE 4 will have those features too, though, so even though international
language support is pretty important for me, I'm not about to give up a
highly functional KDE desktop for the current state of GNOME.

I also get the impression that KDE is more popular than GNOME now, and more
actively developed.  Either that, or the KDE guys seem to get more done with
a smaller team, due to the object-oriented structure of KDE that probably
makes major improvements easier to affect.

Again, my personal view -- nothing more.  Others may well have different
views.

--
Lee Braiden
http://www.DigitalUnleashed.com