Directory file limts

Magnus Therning magnus at therning.org
Thu Oct 13 13:44:03 UTC 2005

On Thu, Oct 13, 2005 at 03:18:20PM +0400, Dmitry Mityugov wrote:
>On 10/13/05, Magnus Therning <magnus at therning.org> wrote:
>> On Thu, Oct 13, 2005 at 12:25:08PM +0200, Duncan Anderson wrote:
>> >Greetings
>> >
>> >Can someone tell me if there is a limit to the number of files in a
>> >directory, and if so what is it? Or is the answer to this question
>> >dependent on what file system is being used?
>>
>> I've never heard of a maximum number of files in a directory at all. Not
>> on any system or filesystem... is there a max in some fs that you know
>> of?
>
>IIRC, was (and probably still is) not possible to create more than 128
>files in a root directory in FAT16 :-)

Cool, didn't know that. Yet another reason to stay as far away from
FAT16 as possible, I guess.

/M

magnus at therning.org
http://therning.org/magnus

by patent law on written works.

"Sendmail" and "make" are two well known programs that are pretty widely
regarded as being debugged into existence. That's why their command
languages are so poorly thought out and difficult to learn.  It's not
just you -- everyone finds them troublesome.
     -- Peter van der Linden, Expert C Programming, p. 220