IP listening

Alan E. Davis lngndvs at gmail.com
Thu Oct 13 13:19:27 UTC 2005

I am also interested in starting to understand what is going on, what my
machine has going in and out on / from the network. I found a package of
tools---netdiag.

I must admit, I don't understand what they do. I would appreciate assistance
in understanding their use?

trafshow was "interesting."

I was accused of sucking bandwidth on our T1 or better line at my school,
when I haven't been able to even get through a "apt-get update" even once in
an 8 hour day. I look forward to the dial up at home! trafshow listed a
number of ip addresses on our local network (connected to the Inet by a
firewall) with traffic to my machine. It MIGHT be useful. ??

Alan

On 10/13/05, Peter Garrett <peter.garrett at optusnet.com.au> wrote:

> On Wed, 12 Oct 2005 22:03:24 +0200
> "R.L.Reingard" <list.account at gmx.net> wrote:
>
> > > Try iftop.
> > > and "iftop -P" for showing port activity.
> >
> > user at ubuntu:~$ iftop
> > bash: iftop: command not found
> > user at ubuntu:~$
> >
> > what is IFTOP, Robbo?
>
> peter at prospero:~$ apt-cache show iftop
> Package: iftop
> Section: universe/net
> Installed-Size: 96
> Maintainer: christophe barbe <christophe at debian.org>
> Architecture: i386
> Version: 0.16-1
> Depends: libc6 (>= 2.3.2.ds1-4), libncurses5 (>= 5.4-1), libpcap0.7
> Filename: pool/universe/i/iftop/iftop_0.16-1_i386.deb
> Size: 28386
> MD5sum: 53e60a13ef0f03a2da26b3aab65f914b
> iftop does for network usage what top(1) does for CPU usage. It
> listens to network traffic on a named interface and displays a table
> of current bandwidth usage by pairs of hosts. Handy for answering the
> question "why is our ADSL link so slow?".
> Bugs: mailto:ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com
> Origin: Ubuntu
>
> HTH ;-)
>
> Peter