ssh "-bash: shells.: command not found" -solved, thanks!

Peter Garrett peter.garrett at optusnet.com.au
Thu Oct 13 08:40:17 UTC 2005

On Thu, 13 Oct 2005 08:58:10 +0100
Colin Watson <cjwatson at ubuntu.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 13, 2005 at 05:17:55PM +1000, Peter Garrett wrote:
> > When I ssh to one of the machines on my small home network, each time I get the error:
> >
> > Last login: Thu Oct 13 16:39:57 2005 from prospero
> > -bash: shells.: command not found
> > peter at mmx:~$
>
> It seems most likely that this is some bogus command in your shell
> startup files. Try 'grep shells ~/.bash* /etc/profile /etc/bash*'.

Bingo! Thank you very much, Colin . Spot the difference...

on host "mmx":

# ~/.bash_profile: executed by bash(1) for login
shells.

on host "prospero":

# ~/.bash_profile: executed by bash(1) for login shells.

Fixing the second line to remove the mysterious " shell." command does the trick. Evidently I did something silly with the enter key when I edited this file at some point  ;-)

Thanks again for the immediate and accurate response!

Peter

--

Linux User #343161