advice on partitioning

Vram lamsokvr at xprt.net
Thu Oct 13 06:32:44 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-10-12 at 22:23 -0700, AA wrote:
> Hello again,
>
> > This is a kernel thing...
> >
> > You need to have high memory enabled..
> >

> > Can't remember the incantation.. Right now..
> >
> > Vram
>
> yes, this is what the warning that I saw told me.  I
> will search for this online, but if you do happen to
> remember how to do it please let me know.
> Thanks in advance,
> SMH

Zones

In Linux, the memory available from all banks is classified into
"nodes". These nodes indicate how much memory each bank has. This
classification is mainly useful for NUMA architectures, but it's also
used for UMA architectures, where the number of nodes is just 1.

Memory in each node is divided into "zones". The zones currently
defined are ZONE_DMA, ZONE_NORMAL and ZONE_HIGHMEM.

ZONE_DMA is used by some devices for data transfer and is mapped in
the lower physical memory range (up to 16 MB).

Memory in the ZONE_NORMAL region is mapped by the kernel in the
upper region of the linear address space. Most operations can only
take place in ZONE_NORMAL; so this is the most performance critical
zone. ZONE_NORMAL goes from 16 MB to 896 MB.

To address memory from 1 GB onwards, the kernel has to map pages
from high memory into ZONE_NORMAL.

Some area of memory is reserved for storing several kernel data
structures that store information about the memory map and page
tables. This on x86 is 128 MB. Hence, of the 1 GB physical memory the
kernel can access, 128MB is reserved. This means that the kernel
virtual address in this 128 MB is not mapped to physical memory. This
leaves a maximum of 896 MB for ZONE_NORMAL. So, even if one has 1 GB
of physical RAM, just 896 MB will be actually available.

Back to the solutions:

Go here for the full article...

http://kerneltrap.org/node/2450

IF this isn't enough post again