advice on partitioning

AA asokanon at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 13 01:12:25 UTC 2005

Hello all, I would like to ask for some advice on how
to partition my system.  I have a 30Gig HD that I want
to dedicate soley to ubuntu, but I am unsure of what
is the best way to set it up.  I know that if I let
the ubuntu installer do what it wants to do, then I
get a 1.3G swap and the rest is formatted ext3 mounted
on /.  What I would like to do is have the swap and
the root, but I want to know what else could/should
get its own partition.  I was thinking about splitting
the HD between swap, / and /home, but I am unsure of
how much space to alot to each.  I am looking for a
partition settup that allows me to have the basic
system all in one place so that I can use something
like ghost, (or dd, or G4L...havent decided yet), to
make an image that I can easily restore later without
losing all of my data.  I can successfully use Ghost
2003 on my linux partition, but it is so large that it
is not convenient...so I want to have a method of
dealing with backing up just the base system
partition, (I assume the base system will end up being
everything besides /home?  what other partitions could
be created to store parts of the system that would not
need to be backed up in this way?).
Also, is a 1.3 G swap partition large?  I have a
1.67GHz cpu and 1 G of Ram, so I dont know what would
be standard.
And the last question, What do I need to do in order
to make ubuntu use the whole gig of ram?  Currently it
tells me that only 800 or mb will be used.
Thanks in advance,
SMH