Hoary, Gnome, 2.6.11 Freeze problem

'Forum Post ulist at gs1.ubuntuforums.org
Wed Oct 12 05:23:58 UTC 2005

Parijat Mishra Wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I am running Hoary with latest updates on a Dell Latitude C640 for some
> time
> now. Yesterday I installed the linux-image-2.6.11-0.2 package to
> replace the
> 2.6.10-5 kernel I had. I also have a 2.6.11-custom kernel compiled from
> (ubuntu) sources.
>
> Now, when I boot up the system using the 2.6.11-02 kernel, all is fine,
> until I log into GNOME (using GDM). The login process starts normally
> with
> the splash screen, etc. Then the default background, and two blank
> panels
> appear at the top and bottom of the screen. At this point the desktop
> freezes: keyboard. mouse etc. do nothing visible. I can't ssh into my
> machnie either. Neither can I switch VTs. Perhaps the kernel has gone
> for
> lunch?
>
> This does not happen when I use my custom 2.6.11 kernel. Neither was
> this
> the case with the 2.6.10 kernels (ubuntu images and my custom kernels).
>
> I would like to investigate the crash a little bit more and dig out the
> cause. How could I get started?

there is a bug in the 2.6.11 kernel with inotify i can't rember the
command to disable it but im sure you can find an answer by searching
the ubuntuforum there is several posts listed about it.

edit: i figured that my solution wasn't so helpful because i just told
the cause and not the solution so here it is at the grub menu press c
so you enter a boot command and enter this

Code:
--------------------
    noinotify
 to make it perminate by adding it to the /boot/grub/menu.lst file with
sudo gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst and add the noinotify option like this

Code:
    kernel        /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.11-k7 root=/dev/hdb2 ro quiet splash noinotify
 save the file and reboot that should fix it.

--
codejunkie