Automatically sharing home directories

Eric S. Johansson esj at harvee.org
Tue Oct 11 21:45:41 UTC 2005

'Forum Post wrote:
> No. You'll be lucky to get it working in 30 days, nevermind 30 minutes.
> It's still only for the truly battle-hardened, I'm afraid.

that's what it was like back in 98.  Back then I even had a bit of a
clue on how to develop LDAP schema.  Not sure what the current fashion
is today.  Skirt lengths, I mean LDAP schemas change so quickly.

Al's post makes it look like if you follow exactly the right pattern,
you will get the right results.  Deviate even by the slightest amount
and you'll end up with a fiery unpleasant death.

yup, that's LDAP.  after five years or more, one would think folks could
make this work without trying hard.  And no, I'm not going to do it, I
can't afford to work for free anymore.

> Now, about your issue -- samba has a setting to synchronize password
> files, IIRC. Ah, here we go: Edit your /etc/samba/smb.conf and set unix
> password sync = yes.

I will give that a try as well.

--- eric