gvim ??

Vincent Trouilliez vincent.trouilliez at modulonet.fr
Tue Oct 11 18:40:53 UTC 2005

> No, gvim doesn't have a .desktop file. Don't really know why.

Yeah I have noticed that several packages have somehow lost
their .desktop files in Breezy, which is obviously a big problem now
that our super dupper application installer is there, and relies on said
files...
Last night I tried installing gftp, which is in 'main', and this one too
wasn't to be found in the app installer :o(

I hope that in Dapper, all packages will have a desktop files and an
icon...

> You can get it into your Applications menu by installing menu-xdg (IIRC).

What is menu-xdg ? I just right-click on the applications menu when I
need to edit it... now that SMEG has been implemented in Breezy :-)

> I don't miss the menu item though, since I use xbindkey to launch it from
> the keyboard :-)

Yeah, sometimes I don't bother adding an icon either, and just press
"Alt + F2" to get the 'run' dialog, then I just type the first 3 letters
of the programs or so, and the auto-completion does the rest. Usually
just as quick as grabbing the mouse and navigating the menu, plus, it
helps in keeping the menu simpler/cleaner as well...

--
Vince