Hoary to Breezy apt-get dist upgrade - SAFE?

Phil Cryer phil at cryer.us
Tue Oct 11 15:56:33 UTC 2005

> Is it safe yet to do apt-get dist upgrade? What are the dangers? I'm
> currently running 5.04 and everything's working really, really nicely.
> I'd hate to mess it up just because I want it to get better!

This worked/works for me, but if you haven't updated anything wait until 5.10 is released so you won't have to jump now, and then jump later.  should only be a few days.  the only other gotcha would be if you're not using ubuntu nvidia or ati driver installs; ie - if you manually did it.  if done manually you need to reinstall them after a new kern is installed.

apt-get dist-upgrade allows the computer to update the kernel and
other components which are normally not updated. There should be
little to no risk running it.

Cheers
Tony

PS. Disclaimer: Advice given has no warranty. IANRFAD.

On 11/10/05, Jack Jackson <jackson.linux at gmail.com> wrote:
> Is it safe yet to do apt-get dist upgrade? What are the dangers? I'm
> currently running 5.04 and everything's working really, really nicely.
> I'd hate to mess it up just because I want it to get better!

Tony Ayre
tony at localz.co.uk
--
Localz, 40 Pinfold Lane, Skerton, Lancaster, Lancashire. UK. LA1 2BJ
Phone: 01524 311191