Recovering data from failed Maxtor One Touch II drive

Dmitry Mityugov dmitry.mityugov at gmail.com
Tue Oct 11 12:09:24 UTC 2005

On 10/11/05, Tim Vaughan <talltim at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I own a 100GB Maxtor USB external drive.  It has just failed, only
> making beeping and clicking sounds when I turn it on
> I realise that it may be a long shot, but are there any Linux disk
> utilities that could analyse the drive to see if any of the data may
> be recoverable?  It's ext3 formatted.

It *may* be possible to read data from it by removing the internal IDE
drive from it and instaiing the drive into your computer, making it an
internal drive. If the failure is in the electronics of the external
enclosure, that should fix it.

--
Dmitry Mityugov, St. Petersburg, Russia
I ignore all messages with confidentiality statements

"We live less by imagination than despite it" - Rockwell Kent, "N by E"