rubygem problem

Shot - Piotr Szotkowski shot at hot.pl
Tue Oct 11 07:50:55 UTC 2005

Hello.

Al Gordon:

> You will need to install rubygems, which is not packaged for Ubuntu
> 5.04, but I believe may be available for 5.10 in a packaged format.

There seem to be Debian packages for RubyGems,
though: http://sgtpepper.net/hyspro/deb/

> If you're willing to install unpackaged software on your Hoary system,
> you can get rubygems here: http://rubyforge.org/frs/?group_id=126

> Download, uncompress (tar xzvf rubygems-0.8.11.tgz), cd
> to the directory it creates, then run "sudo ruby setup.rb".

If you plan to install anything from source, it's best to prepend the
installation command with `checkinstall -D`, as it will create a .deb
file, install it (which registers the installed files with apt) and
is a nice way to have the software cleanly uninstallable.

Cheers,
-- Shot
--
          Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they
          do it from a religious conviction.         -- Blaise Pascal