[Breezy] Eclipse error on startup

Henning Kilset Pedersen henning at mopo.no
Mon Oct 10 06:52:46 UTC 2005

Hello. I've installed pretty much ALL the different eclipse packages
(yes, the "official" Ubuntu way). However, when starting it, I get the
following popup error message, and the startup of Eclipse hangs (the
splash screen stays onscreen, but the IDE never starts up):

JVM terminated. Exit code=1
/usr/lib/jvm/java-gcj/bin/java
-Djava.library.path=/usr/lib/jni
-Dgnu.gcj.precompiled.db.path=/var/lib/gcj-4.0/classmap.db
-Dosgi.locking=none
-jar /usr/lib/eclipse/startup.jar
-os linux
-ws gtk
-arch x86
-launcher /usr/lib/eclipse/eclipse
-name Eclipse
-showsplash 600
-exitdata 510016
-install /usr/lib/eclipse
-vm /usr/lib/jvm/java-gcj/bin/java
-vmargs
-Djava.library.path=/usr/lib/jni
-Dgnu.gcj.precompiled.db.path=/var/lib/gcj-4.0/classmap.db
-Dosgi.locking=none
-jar /usr/lib/eclipse/startup.jar

If i start up from command line, i see that the JVM being used is

searching for compatible vm...
  testing /usr/lib/jvm/java-gcj...found

Has anybody seen similar behavior and fixed it?

Regards,
Henning Pedersen