Thoughts/Questions After Successful Breezy Install on Mac Mini

Bill G inboxbillg at gmail.com
Sun Oct 9 15:41:29 UTC 2005

After a frustrating few days, I've successfully installed the Breezy RC on a
Mac Mini. Here are some thoughts and questions:

1. The first reboot during the install failed consistently as yaboot would
bail out complaining about errors in yaboot.conf. The /etc/yaboot.conf
written by the installer (yabootconfig?) correctly included this device
line: "device=/pci at f4000000/ata-6 at d/disk at 0:". The boot files are on
/dev/hda5, and yaboot reported it couldn't find them. Manually changing the
device line (by shelling out just before the reboot) to "device=hd:" worked.
The Mini rebooted and the second phase of the install comleted successfully.

2. I've got a Firewire drive attached to the Mini. It is visible to the
partitioner during the install, and the installer happily built filesystems
on it. However, judging from the abundant error messages I saw during
reboots, any filesystems on that drive are invisible after the install
completes. For example, if I put a filesystem on /dev/sda3, fsck, running
during the first reboot into a successfully installed sysem, says it can't
find /dev/sda3. If the kernel, etc., used by the installer see the Firewire
drive, why is it invisible after the install?

I'd like to use the Firewire because it is faster than the drive inside the
Mini. Should it "just work", or do I need to do some research?

3. Have the Microsoft "web" fonts -- Verdana and all that -- been pulled
from the repositories? I added "universal" but didn't see them.

4. Subjective opinion: I've been away from Ubuntu and Linux for a few
months; OS X is still ahead in terms of visible polish and style, and may
well be ahead in terms of desktop speed and responsiveness.

billg