question about backups

dave s ubuntu at pusspaws.net
Sun Oct 9 10:31:22 UTC 2005

On Sunday 09 October 2005 10:36, AA wrote:
> Hello all, I am new to this list, and I would like to
> ask a question about backups.  I have read alot about
> using tar, but I want something that is ghost(like) if
> possible - in fact I own ghost 2003 from my windows
> days.  This is what I want to do:  I have 1 HD
> dedicated to linux - secondary master, 1 dedicated to
> windows, primary master, and 1 that is split in half
> with a logical ntfs part on the first half and an ext3
> pat on the second - this is the primary slave.  I am
> already in the habit of booting into ghost and
> creating an image onto the primary slaves logical data
> drive, I would like to be able to just do this for
> linux as well.  I have tried to create images with
> ghost, and they create successfully, but will not pass
> the integrity test.  Is this because the linux disc is
> not primary master?  Is there any way to use ghost to
> make backups of this system?
> Thanks in advance,
> AA
>

> __________________________________
> Yahoo! Music Unlimited
> http://music.yahoo.com/unlimited/

Hello,

Take a look at http://www.partimage.org/ its similar to norton ghost in
linux :)

Since the system has to be unmounted to take a snapshot, I run knoppix
http://www.knoppix.org/ which is a linux distro on a cd, re-boot machine with
cd in drive, it starts a linux which does not install but runs purely in
memory, then call up partimage and you can snapshot what you want and store
it where you want :)

Knoppix is used in the same way the Ghost floppy is used, it allows a system
to be installed without needing to access the hard drive so a clean snapshot
can be taken.

Hope this helps

Dave