Upgrade to breezy 2 slight problems

dave s ubuntu at pusspaws.net
Sat Oct 8 19:56:45 UTC 2005

Hi all,

I took the plunge & upgraded to Breezy today.
It all went OK apart from ...

Problem (1)

X. I run an old rive TNT2 card which needs the archived
NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-7174-pkg1.run package

During the upgrade the kernel has been replaced, and the nvidia driver no
longer works, xorg drops out, cant load module.

So I executed NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-7174-pkg1.run ...

It complained - kernel compiled with gcc 3.3, current compiler gcc 4.0, set CC
to name of compiler used to compile kernel.

I booted the previous kernel and that's what I am using now. Any suggestions
how to get round this and use the most up to date kernel. Why has the most up
to date kernel been compiled with gcc 3.3 ? Stability reasons ?

Problem (2)

While doing the upgrade I installed gnome as well as KDE, Original install was
kunbutu. Gnomes great but my KDE 'K' menu is now litterd with gnome apps as
well as the KDE ones. Is there a way to revert my KDE menu to the way it
was ?

Many Thanks

Dave