VMWare Ubuntu host WinXP guest question

Sarangan Thuraisingham sarangan.thuraisingham at gmail.com
Sat Oct 8 15:23:06 UTC 2005

On 10/8/05, Marc <for.maillists at gmail.com> wrote:

> Okay here goes. I am using an updated 5.10 (as of now), i have
> installed and got working VMWare 5.0, i created a default virtual
> machine and put on it a ghost image of WinXP home. Everything works
> fine installing WinXP until it runs for the first time. The first
> screen comes up with teh time zone , i set this, click next, the next
> screen is to set the computer's name. I enter a name and leave the
> Computer Description field blank, click next, the cursor changes to an
> animated hour glass and nothing happens. I have let it go for hours
> and still nothing. I have rebooted the VM gotten to this same screen
> and tried clicking the Skip button with the same results.
>
> I have tried to research this and still am, but to no avail. If
> someone can point me in the right direction or knows how to resolve
> this issue i will be very, very appreciative.
>
> I have wipped my HD and put Ubuntu as my primary OS because i am
> loving it, but unfortunetly i also need to use some WinXP specific
> progs for my business. Thus the need to get WinXP working under
> VMware.
>
> Tnaks again for any help.
> --
> Soon.
> Marc
> "The world is not ours to do with as we please. We are only borrowing
> it from our children."

Wouldn't it be easier just to setup a dual-boot system. Wouldn't windows run
faster natively ;-)

If you are worried about having to repartition the hard drive:
- If you have partioned the hard disk and are using LVM to map the physical
partitions then, all you have to do is resize them and resize the physical
partition. You create a new partition from the free space and install
Windows XP natively.
- Another option is WINE. I have setup my system as a dual boot, but so far
I havent found the need to restart to Windows XP, cos I run the few
applications using WINE. Besides, there are several open source alternatives
to Windows Programs. You could try using WINE to run some of your business
applications, but if they are custom designed and highly tweaked to run
under windows, u may run into problems.

PS. I am not an expert, just few friendly suggestions thats all.