Hot Swappable SATA Drives

Stephen Ryan taketwoaspirin at gmail.com
Sat Oct 8 00:32:14 UTC 2005

On 10/6/05, Vram <lamsokvr at xprt.net> wrote:

> Does Ubuntu support Hot Swappable SATA Drives?
>
> TIA
>
> Vram

I'm going to guess no on this one (which is a shame, as I 'm installing a
new server with hot-swap SATA drives in it next week).

I think http://linux.yyz.us/sata/ is the official status of page Linux
kernel support for SATA, and the infrastructure for hot swap appears to be
still in development. (Either that, or someone else is doing a very good job
of pretending to be the SATA maintainer and telling the truth about
everything but hotplug support). Based on that, I think it's rather unlikely
that Ubuntu has installed the highly experimental patches for it, and even
unlikely to be ready for the next release. I plan to treat mine as drives
that are just very easy to cold-swap for now; that machine cost too much for
me to be experimenting with it :-)