Two Breezy problems: Acroread and Jedit

Jack Jackson jackson.linux at gmail.com
Fri Oct 7 19:45:26 UTC 2005

hi
Having difficulties with Acroread and Jedit on an otherwise flawless
install of breezy on a Dell 5150 Inspiron notebook.

I installed java correctly - java --version shows 1.4.2 and downloaded
jedit. it installed properly - I can see it installed to the menu and
shortcuts, but starting it either through a RUN command or clicking on
its icon, or through right clicking and "Open with JEdit, Programmers
Text Editor" results in ... nothing.

I also installed adobe acrobat using apt-get and then again manually.
Manually the files installed fine, and when I launch acroread, for a
brief, exciting moment I see the splash screen....and then nothing.

ps aux | grep acroread and ps aux | grep jedit as well as top reveal
nothing running

What gives? What can I try?

Thanks in advance,
JJ