Breezy upgrade over Hoary

'Forum Post ulist at gs1.ubuntuforums.org
Fri Oct 7 18:10:41 UTC 2005

Steve Wrote:
> On 10/3/05, 'Forum Post <ulist (AT) gs1 (DOT) ubuntuforums.org> wrote:

> -How can I make certain of which packages I installed from backports?

> -What do I need to do to rectify, in order to upgrade?

You can use Synaptic to find things like this. Choose Settings >
Repositories and take out the backports repositories. Then choose
Settings > Filters and use the filters in the Other column to get a
list of backport packages. Quite likely the "Not (no longer)
installable" filter will work, but I can't say that for sure. You'll
have to experiment.

Steve Wrote:
> -Will the "upgrade to Breezy" offer choices so that nothing will be
> "broken"?

Not exactly. If apt can't figure out the upgrade path, the process may
completely fall apart, depending on how wide the dependency net is for
whatever breaks. For example, if you've installed some crazy custom
xorg debs and apt can't figure out how to upgrade them properly, you
might end up with an X that doesn't work anymore.

The advice to back up everything first should be heeded. There are a
lot of threads around here about how to back up and restore your system
(it's pretty easy). You should especially back up your home directory,
because that probably has all your important stuff in it.

--
wylfing