Newbie

Andy Choens gunksta at gmail.com
Fri Oct 7 18:13:48 UTC 2005

On 10/7/05, Bob Schmidt <bob58523 at charter.net> wrote:

> I'm trying to edit the file listed below, but it tells me that I'm not the
> owner. I try to log in as root, and it won't allow me. I know that I am
> using the correct password to log in as root. Is there anyway to double
> check the root password? I hat to have to reinstall everything again

Don't log in as root. You can't. Use sudo instead. For instance, it I wanted
to edit the file you need to I would use the following command:

sudo nano /etc/network/interfaces

It will then ask you for YOUR password. Give the computer your password and
you can then open the file.

You can replace nano with whatever file manager you life. emacs (shudder),
vi, gedit, gvim, whatever.

Anytime you need to "do something as root" use sudo before the command.

Before you ask as why sudo and not just have a root account, I sugget
looking at the archives, or someone may get their panties up in a wad.

--andy